Complete the relevant Form(s) and provide any Supporting Information/Documents
You may visit the Municipal Corporation (MC) to collect the application form for all Building Permit Applications or download it from their website. In general, the process is straightforward and simple once you are aware of the steps to follow. However, based on the type and location of your development, there may be specific additional documents to be submitted and the processing time may increase. In order to ensure your application is processed expeditiously and within the relevant timeframe, please ensure all the required supporting documents are completed and submitted along with your application.
The requirements for this process are the same as those for your detailed Planning Approval and it is recommended that the application for the two (2) approvals be submitted at the same time. For further information on that process, see “Securing your Planning Approvals”.
For Building Permits:
• Application Form to be completed - (you should indicate on the form all of the different approvals for which you are applying). See form “Application for Building/Planning Permission”.
• Other Supporting Documents to be prepared and submitted.
- Final detailed planning/architectural/engineering drawings for proposal - prepared, stamped and signed by a locally Registered Architect/Engineer.
- Surveyor’s ID Report (sketch plan) - prepared by a locally Commissioned Land Surveyor.
- Proof of ownership of the land - (see checklist for acceptable forms of proof of ownership).
- Certificate of Property Tax Payment – most current.
- A Project Brief - (where applicable e.g. large/complex proposals).
- Fire approval letter and stamped drawings - from the Jamaica Fire Brigade. (You may choose to do this yourself prior to your submission to the MC, otherwise the MC will circulate the drawings to the JFB).
For more information on the various forms, requirements, and checklists, email the St. Mary MC.