Additional steps required for approval…
Site Inspection and request for feedback from the relevant agencies
After the application has been received, a site inspection is scheduled with the applicant by an Inspector of Mines (MGD).
A sign should be in place by the time of this visit stating:
“It is my intention to operate a quarry at this site. Any objections must be submitted to the Commissioner of Mines, Mines and Geology Division, Hope Gardens, Kingston 6.”
Evidence of this sign can also be submitted in Step 4.
After the site visit, letters are sent to several government agencies requesting their inspection of the proposed quarry site and for their comments and recommendations on its development. If an Environmental Permit is required this would be indicated during this phase, and the applicant would be directed to obtain this document from the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) to continue processing the application. The list of agencies from which comments and recommendations are sought include:
- National Works Agency (NWA)
- National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
- Municipal Corporations (for the Parish in which the quarry is located)
- Water Resources Authority (WRA)
- Agriculture Land Management Division of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Environmental Health Unit of the Ministry of Health (MOH)
- Any other relevant agency/organisation (as deemed necessary)
Submission of additional documents
In order to expedite processing, timely submission of additional documents to the MGD is important. These documents are not required the initiate the process but are necessary in preparation for submission to the Quarries Advisory Committee (QAC). These documents are:
- Test Results Certificate – (fitness for purpose of material to be quarried)
- Resource Evaluation Report - (required for Sand and Gravel only)
- Quarry Tax Production Returns (Renewal applications; only if outstanding).
- Outstanding Quarry Tax payments (Renewal applications; only if outstanding).
Review of application by the Quarries Advisory Committee (QAC)
A final report is collated by the MGD which includes the recommendations of the agencies.
The report is then submitted at the Quarry Advisory Committee (QAC) for deliberation. The QAC is an advisory committee appointed by the Minister with responsibility for Mining. This Committee can make the following recommendations to the Minister that:
- An application be deferred pending the provision of additional information;
- A licence be refused; or
- A licence be granted with conditions.
For applicants granted a quarry licence, this licence is approved for a specific time period and over a clearly defined geographical area. In cases where the application is rejected, an appeal can be made to the Minister.
Submission of additional documents/payments in preparation for the receipt of the Quarry Licence
For licences recommended for approval, the following documents must be submitted in order for the Quarry Licence to be issued:
- Restoration Bond - to be maintained on deposit with the Commissioner.
- Quarry Plan
The applicant will be notified in writing
- That the application has been recommended
- The requirements for the quarry plan
- The amount to be paid for the restoration bond
To learn more about the guidelines and this process…please send an email to the MGD.