All applications for Planning Approvals must be submitted to the KSAMC.
Secure Building Kingston & St. Andrew overview
Understand more about the process…
The Kingston and St. Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) is the local planning authority for the parishes of Kingston and St. Andrew and responsible of overseeing all development within these areas. As such, all applications for Building Permits within these parishes must be submitted to the KSAMC.
The safety and security of buildings is ensured by the process of building permit approvals. The overall structure is assessed based on the plans/drawings presented and their conformance with the building code and best practices. One of the key goals of the Building Department of the Municipal Corporations (MCs) is to ensure public safety.
As an Investor, it is important that you first consult with the Local Planning Authority/Municipal Corporation before starting on any detailed design work. Prior to submitting your application make sure that you have prepared and obtained all the necessary information required for the application. Contact the MC about the Development Application Help Desk (DAHD) and their walk-in “Pre-Check” Service or the Development Assistance Centre(DAC) at NEPA for a consultation.
Complete the relevant Form(s) and provide any Supporting Information/Documents…
You may visit the Municipal Corporation to collect the application form for all Building Permit Applications or download it from their website. In general, the process is straightforward and simple once you are aware of the steps to follow. However, based on the type and location of your development, there may be specific additional documents to be submitted and the processing time may increase. In order to ensure your application is processed expeditiously and within the relevant timeframe, please ensure all the required supporting documents are completed and submitted along with your application.
The requirements for this process are the same as those for your detailed Planning Approval and it is recommended that the application for the two (2) approvals be submitted at the same time. For further information on that process, see “Securing your Planning Approvals”.
For Building Permits:
• Application Form to be completed - (you should indicate on the form all of the different approvals for which you are applying). See form “Application for Building/Planning Permission”.
• Other Supporting Documents to be prepared and submitted.
- Final detailed planning/architectural/engineering drawings for proposal - prepared, stamped and signed by a locallyRegistered Architect/Engineer.
Once your form(s) and all supporting information/documents have been completed, signed, stamped and certified where required, you will need to visit the Municipal Corporation to submit your Application and pay the relevant application fees.
Submission Requirements: All plans/drawings must be signed by a registered architect/engineer. The correct number of copies of the plans/drawings to be submitted depends on the type and location of your development. However, as a general guide see below:
For Building Permits:
• Application Form and supporting documents listed above - (2) copies.
• The architectural/engineering/construction plans/drawings are to be printed, stamped, signed and submitted.
- For Residential single-family projects - (4) sets of drawings plus (1) electronic copy.
- For Residential multifamily projects – (6) sets of drawings plus (1) electronic copy.
- For Commercial and other projects – (6) sets of drawings plus (1) electronic copy.
Please note that of the total number of sets required above, at least two (2) sets should be stamped and approved by the Jamaica Fire Brigade (Fire Approval). This should be done prior to your submission to the MC. JFB Application Form.
For additional guidance, consult your MC through their Development Application Help Desk (DAHD) to verify the required number of sets of plans/drawings to be submitted for your specific project type, size and complexity.
The address and contact information for the Municipal Corporation is indicated below: Kingston & St. Andrew Municipal Corporation Building Department 24 Church Street Kingston Jamaica W.I. Tel: 1 (876) 967-0585/967-4195 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Monday – Thursday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm Friday: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Pay the relevant Processing Fees…
Planning/Building application fees are calculated based on the area calculated in square meters (m2) and type of the structure to be erected. In addition, there is also a separate site inspection fee.
General application fees:
For residential buildings: JMD$65/m2
For commercial buildings: JMD$130/m2
Infrastructure cost (pools/retaining walls/etc.): 1% of estimated total construction cost
Telecommunications towers: JMD$1800 per tower to be erected
Site inspection: $JMD1500
Other reviewing agency fees:
National Works Agency review: JMD$21.50/m2
Jamaica Fire Brigade: JMD$3000 – $5000
Fees related to reviewing agencies should be paid over directly to those agencies.
The cashier at the Council Administrative Building is open from:
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Fridays: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Please note: Fees are subject to updates.
Building Permits - Approximately eight (8) weeks; maximum of ninety (90) days.
Processing time for permits may vary depending on the number of reviewing agencies that need to provide feedback.
Once discrepancies are found with the application, the time is stopped and is restarted only once the necessary changes have been made and presented to the Corporation.
Your application’s progress can be tracked online, and you are able to view its status by going to the MCs’ websites or using the AMANDA System
To learn more about tracking your application, visit the AMANDA System… or contact your MC at 1 (876) 967-0585/967-4195.
Additional steps required for approval…
Once your application has been submitted, there are several additional steps that the Municipal Corporation will need to undertake as a part of their own due diligence and in keeping with the participatory nature of the planning process. This includes the following:
• Due Diligence Investigation - is carried out on the development project.
- Corporation to conduct a site visit and prepare a report (separate fee required)
This will be done within ten (10) working days of receiving the application.
• Application Circulation - to Reviewing Agencies of your application documents and the Corporation’s site report, which are shared with the relevant reviewing agencies for comments/recommendations, including but not limited to:
- National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
- National Works Agency (NWA) (additional costs related to this review)
- Natural Resources Conservation Authority
- Environmental Health Unit, Ministry of Health
- Water Resources Authority
- Mines & Geology Division (if on hillside or slope)
- Jamaica Fire Brigade
- Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM)
- Other Agencies as may be deemed necessary
• Technical Reviews - conducted by the various Reviewing Agencies, who will provide their written comments/recommendations.
• Agencies’ Comments/Recommendations – returned to the Corporation for review and compilation by their Planning Department.
• Report Compiled - on the agencies’ comments/recommendations for presentation to the MC’s Planning Committee.
• Monthly Planning Committee Meeting – held by MC to review the report and make a final decision regarding approval.
To learn more about this process you may also visit the KSAMC's website or NEPA's eCentre.
Collect your Approved Document(s)…
You are required to collect and sign for your final approval documents at the KSAMC. If an Agent is submitting the application on your behalf, you will need to provide them with a letter of authorization, stamped and signed by a Justice of the Peace or a Notary Public.
At the end of the process you would have received the following: