Process steps required for approval…
In carrying out its functions the OUR must ensure that due diligence procedures are applied when processing your application for a telecoms licence. The due diligence process will commence after the OUR has received your completed application, accompanied by all the relevant supporting information/documents and they are accepted for assessment. Payment of the non-refundable application fee should also be made by the applicant. Depending on your category of licence, successful applicants may be required to pay an additional licence fee.
Once your application(s) has been submitted, the OUR will review your application for completeness and will notify you of any additional information that may be required. If your application submission is complete, then the following steps will be taken as part of the overall process:
For Telecoms Licence Applications:
- Licence Application Review - to ensure the OUR requirements are met:
- Applicant Declaration Form
- Application Review Factors
- Application Evaluation – to ensure OUR eligibility criteria for issuance of licence met
- Financial Review
- Legal Review
- Technical Review
- Fit and Proper Enquiry
- Notice on Particulars of Application published - the Act requires that the particulars of the application are published in the Gazette and a daily newspaper at the applicant’s cost. Interested parties will be allowed thirty (30) days for submitting comments to the OUR.
- Final Committee Report - agencies’ recommendations collated and report prepared by OUR.
- Recommendation to the Minister - made by the OUR.
- Minister’s Decision - made by the MSET to grant licence (or refuse)
- Notification of Licence Approval - MSET will advise the applicant whether the application was successful and for the licence fee to be paid.
- Licence Fee Paid - (for Carrier or Service Provider) by applicant upon notification of approval; online or in person and submits proof of payment to Ministry.
- Licence Document Prepared - (for Carrier or Service Provider) by MSET.
- Licence & Terms of Conditions Issued - (for Carrier or Service Provider) and electronic copies sent to the Applicant and OUR.
During the “Application Evaluation Period”, the OUR reserves the right to conduct further discussions with, and request further and better particulars from applicants, if necessary. Applicants should be prepared to send a representative(s) to the offices of the OUR to discuss their applications and supporting documentation, if so requested by the OUR.
Licences granted by the Minister are issued by the Ministry and copied to the OUR, who will maintain a register of all applications for licences and all licences granted pursuant to the Act, in electronic form.
- Once granted, your Telecoms Licence will be valid as follows:
- A Carrier Licence - for such period as is specified therein.
- A Service Provider Licence - for such period not exceeding fifteen (15) years.
To learn more about the guidelines and this process…please see OUR summary procedures or send an email to the OUR.